It's a strange world

Here's where we talk about all sorts of things that do not belong anywhere else

Moderator: Jan

It's a strange world

Postby Jan » 27 Jul 2016, 21:54

I have been thinking a lot about this recently. There are a series of tragic and incomprehensible events where one (or more) people turn against others with a violent and destructive intent. Some of them lay claim to allegiance with belief sets that make no sense to me. There are hundreds of thousands of displaced people in our world who have been driven from their homes by the terror of war and the threat of death. And then our so-called leaders all seem to be collapsing into puddles around us. The amount of political dissent and noise is astounding.

I wonder if this kind of disquiet goes in waves.....if it does then it's a long time since this happened here.....is everything just plain falling over?

I don't know.

What i do know is that there is one constant in life that is worth preserving, fighting for, and believing in....and that constant is love. It imposes upon us respect and tolerance; it informs us about the more chaotic and insane twists and turns of life; it gives us a central focus from which to live our lives.

I believe in love.

So...

loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Re: It's a strange world

Postby dandelionwine » 28 Jul 2016, 19:53

well said Jan.

If you believe in Chinese horoscopes 2016 is the year of the MONKEY.
monkey's are mischievous and apparently monkey Years have lots of unpredictability and trouble causing in them!
So, not to make light of the plight of peoples suffering :( , but I think the monkey year is living up to it's reputation.
Last edited by dandelionwine on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
dandelionwine

Postby m.standridge » 01 Aug 2016, 03:31

wow, quite a thought...monkey years. I know there is something about, if you're in close proximity of a monkey and somewhat vulnerable to an attack, DON'T MAKE EYE CONTACT...remember that one? Eye contact somehow triggers the aggression response after one is in close proximity, where they prefer "fight" to "flight".
Is this response choice the one that is put into us, or to influence our thoughts when a stress point is reached in some people...make eye contact, and they are off the deep end?
Quite a thought...thanks.
best in all,
MaxS
Last edited by m.standridge on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Best in all,
MaxS
m.standridge

Postby Jan » 15 Aug 2016, 17:07

I promise not to look at monkeys ;-)

Am I also meant to avoid people trying to make monkeys out of us? Or can I stare at them long and hard? *Glares at that Cameron man*.

Loadsa love
Remember whence you came
Jan

Postby m.standridge » 30 Sep 2016, 11:17

Hard to realize all that has happened to me since the last time I was here, I believe it was this thread.
I've had repeated computer difficulties, car difficulties (self-induced) but thankfully my mom has stayed stable through those things. Now, they seem to be resolved, as things have a way of doing even though at the time it can seem there is no end.

Anyway, I had a thought, now that I can think again, about the whole thing of some connection with the Year of the Monkey in the Chinese traditions that came back when i revisited.

They, as I recall, eat, at least in some geographical areas there in China, monkey, or monkey brains.

So I guess this is an indicator of their strong awareness of the monkey as a species. And I guess I could extrapolate further that this is one of the reasons they use the monkey on their calendar or in their traditions about their calendar.

Anyway, what I am trying to do, is figure out if there is more to it, than just that. In other words, we were talking about what could be triggering these insanely violent outbursts and behaviors by various people. Jan had brought up the energy or waves of energy that may be involved.
So, if there is an energy toward violent behavior that has been released for the year 2016...I think the short way of expressing this additional turn on this line of thought would be, since we have only a few short weeks of this year left, can we look forward to a less violent new year? Wouldn't that be wonderful? I know calendar traditions in any culture are hardly scientific, but maybe they have managed to pick up on something, enough to get some general idea of the causes of the violent behavior.
Yet, as I recall, I was posting up here in 2005, around the time of Hurricane Katrina that hit New Orleans...and of all the stresses associated with that and, almost simultaneously in my personal life, of stresses and then of some...what I can only describe as angel...visions or ...impressions...that I was getting during that time.
Anyway, that was unpleasant energy at times, at other times more comforting, in a way. Yet, it's also true there was less, in that immediate time-frame, about violence by people...more, in that time, about violent weather events, as if Mother Earth, Herself, had been moved or forced to violent behavior...so anyway, there did seem to be some difference in the nature of events, though life wasn't pleasant for a number of people, even so.
So, maybe we can look forward to a less violent new year. No one is talking much about the coming year, but this has been one that, if the change of the year is going to give us a break, is one I am looking forward to. Meanwhile, we have seen the violent rhetoric of Mr. Trump emerge on our political scene...not only his own, but those of people who come to his rallies. It's as if the violent rhetoric is being ...motivated by some energy present at the rallies...just as, prior to that, the rhetoric at the Republican Party debates here in the States seemed to get rather...extreme, as if some energy was floating about there, an energy toward violent rhetoric.
So does this mean the Chinese Calendar is something we need to consult occasionally? I am not advocating such, please note, because I know very little about it. We have various traditions from around the world, as I can vaguely recall, which we've seen have sometimes been accurate in some area or other.
I've gone on too long here, but it is also good to be able to see my old friends here are doing ok, although I haven't had chance to look into details for some. So, I wish I could remember if there was more I had on this...it seems as if there might have been, but it now eludes me.
Best in all,
MaxS
Best in all,
MaxS
m.standridge

Postby Jan » 30 Sep 2016, 20:57

I'm sorry I have been AWOL during September too. It has been an astonishing weird month (pesky eclipses). A really good friend of mine ended up in hospital in a most peculiar fashion, then there was the question of possible treachery and deceit, and then there were some material pressures lending their weight....very very strange month all in all.

Anyhow....in relation to differing traditions from all over the world....I have always felt very willing to look at these and to contemplate their messages with respect, hoping that they will teach me....so I am certainly not adverse to the idea that the Year of the Monkey is causing more than a little disruption, among other things.

I tell you, when I look at the state of politics right now I surely believe something somewhere is taking the mickey....or maybe the monkey. Never have I seen so much (apparent) universal disarray in this area. I am actually quite a political animal...though I tend to keep my personal views out of my work as a general rule....but ye gods...could we HAVE more of a mess all round? Over here the oddest things are happening in the aftermath of this country turning out in their droves to make their feelings clear to Parliament.... No election in modern times has commanded the engagement that did the referendum upon our membership of Europe.....that tells me something very simple about the British people - when given the opportunity to "talk back" we do so emphatically and defiantly..... Why don't we do it during elections? Because it's nearly impossible as it stands to get a cigarette paper between the parties.

I dunno.....this has not been the most auspicious of years.....

Loadsa love
Remember whence you came
Jan

Postby m.standridge » 09 Oct 2016, 06:53

I wonder if crazy complexity is a part of the pattern, as in, a diverging in a number of directions for things? What I'm thinking of, in asking that, is a posting a friend of mine Shared on FB recently, in which the complexity of the various alliances regarding the Syrian civil war was described.
Quite a massive or overly complex set of alliances, some in conflict, in an effort to "resolve" the Syrian conflagration.
The US doesn't try to overthrow the Syrian government because it's backed by Russia so would be a major war to do so, so instead the US backs the government and attempts to destroy only ISIS within Syria.
To do so, it allies with the Kurdish forces in some, but not all, cases. At the same time, the US is allied with Turkey in fighting ISIS.
But Turkey is also fighting the Kurds, who sometimes engage in terrorist acts of their own against Turkey.
The various rebel groups not associated with ISIS and who are sometimes--though not always--shooting at ISIS, are at war with the Syrian government. The Syrian government is apparently showing no mercy to its own populations when they are living in vicinity of where either ISIS or other Syrian rebels are.

So the US attempts to complain to relief agencies and the UN, but Russia refuses to abide any UN actions. Meantime, Russia is attacking ISIS, an action we support and attempt to assist. When we (at least, the US, though sometimes Britain and NATO, too), seek to help Russia very much, however, Turkey objects. Meantime, Iran is a bit paranoid of Russia, and we (sic "we" only a sometime, temporary, highly conditional thing as to which nations or groups it includes) are engaged in elaborate negotiations with Iran to limit their development of nuclear weapons. And Turkey objects to that quite a bit, as it competes with Iran for influence in Syria. Meantime, Iraq, whose government we helped create, is under pressure from its Sunni elements to be hostile to Shi ite Iran! And those latter two nations still have a fresh memory of the bloody Iran-Iraq War of a couple of decades back, a war made worse by US and sometimes European weapons suppliers to BOTH sides. So the whole field of...hostility, and desire for revenge...is all there, like a monkey seeking to reach out from the cage and just strangle these but-inskies from our direction. ("Our" being, again, a flux-ing term).

All of these complex "alliances" are failing to end the fighting and killing in Syria. A great deal of complex scrambling around, with lethal consequences, among these various nations. I can't remember the detaIls, but I know that before WWI there had been a series of complicated wars called the Balkan Wars which fed into WWI. This reminds me of the complexity of those, though I can't recall the details now. (I wasn't around back then, either).

So, if the seeming quality of "eye contact" (making some move toward one nation or group or another with which we have some kind of tenuous relationship) leads to an attack of a somewhat hysterical nature--well, there again, is that the Monkey in action?

Remember the scrambling of the Republican Party here in the US, as 17 different candidates sought the nomination, and the vote was dissipated among them, with the tragic coincidence of Trump ending up with a Plurality...now he has this quality of blowing up with "eye contact" (the camera being pointed at him) or is that similar enough.

We welcomed France going into Syria and Libya, a lot of which was a former colony of France. Yet, in allying with or praising that intervention, we further alienated others in that area that had previously been friendlier to them. Now, when we approach them, there is that bombastic, screeching quality at the diplomatic level--or am I reaching here?
And is that bombast, too, a monkey principle in action...it seems to have that "you've crossed the line!" angry or aggressive reaction to efforts to communicate (make "eye contact") at the diplomatic level. It just seems to go on and on. And bizarre-ness and excess complexity seems the order of the day, as if a troupe of monkeys were running diplomacy and also military maneuvers.

And, apparently, based on your description, does this also manifest much closer to home, sometimes, as with your friends' experiences. I've not had many dealings with troupes of monkeys in life, and have only watched instances of them on tv. But they are fast moving, seemingly hysterical, and complex in pattern. The one common element, is a lot of hostility and suspicion. We are walking through, it seems, a "Syrian civil war" everywhere we go lately!
Best in all,
MaxS
m.standridge

Postby Jan » 18 Oct 2016, 13:00

Ah Max.....there's no clean answer here at all is there?

What I do know is that a great many people in our world are becoming discontented with the status quo, and taking what steps they can to "upset" it.....trouble is, that has a very nasty habit of backfiring.....

Loadsa love
Remember whence you came
Jan

Return to General Chatter