Brexit

Here's where we talk about all sorts of things that do not belong anywhere else

Moderator: Jan

Brexit

Postby Aoibhegreine » 26 Jun 2016, 14:37

I'm interested to hear everyone's views on this turn of events.

I think it's a good one but only if done properly. I'm also interested in how this will affected the rest of Europe.
Last edited by Aoibhegreine on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Aoibhegreine

Re: Brexit

Postby seedling » 27 Jun 2016, 13:00

I see it as a fear based choice.
Anything fearbased is unproductive, counterproductive even..

I am curious how people in the street explain their choice
Last edited by seedling on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
hold your own.. know your name.. Go your own way..
seedling

Postby JudyK » 27 Jun 2016, 18:36

seedling wrote:I see it as a fear based choice.
Anything fearbased is unproductive, counterproductive even..
I am curious how people in the street explain their choice

I'm with seedling.
Last edited by JudyK on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
JudyK

Postby m.standridge » 02 Jul 2016, 02:24

I am sorry to say, I am unfamiliar with the European Union concept, plus it's your great nation's business, not mine as a Yank.
(Didn't think you'd hear a Yank say that anymore, the way we're such but-in-skis in recent decades?)
But I will try to just pray and seek positive energies based on what I've learned here as these struggles continue for mom and my other rels and friends who are in hospital, facilities, etc., these past months and years. I'm trying to be optimistic. Some are saying the effect may be limited, but in sharing that, I'm neither endorsing nor not endorsing anything, just hope for the best for all. It has a scary quality to it, in that it seems...unstable, yet I can't say that I know enough about Euros, Common Market, or Euro Union to know. Is it more or less stable to join the Euro Union? There's a debate, and I haven't the foggiest. :scratch:

Best in all,
MaxS
Last edited by m.standridge on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Best in all,
MaxS
m.standridge

Postby seedling » 02 Jul 2016, 06:43

Lots of people think it costs money, while the EU supported certain UK projects that increased work chances in the UK cities connected to it.. Subsidies of millions of course..

Apart from that, some think it means not allowing in refugees..and even that other immigrants are sent home. Srsly?! There has been quite the increase of discrimination.. small group, but very awkward for all the rest.. :blink: :shock:

May the quiet masses stop being quiet and speak up against the mistreating of others!! :clapping:
Last edited by seedling on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
hold your own.. know your name.. Go your own way..
seedling

Postby Jan » 03 Jul 2016, 15:52

Mmm I'm with you on the idea that this bigotry needs squashing fast and ruthlessly. Complaints about racist abuse have risen markedly over the last week or so. I'm suspecting that it's the same old tiny minority, but now they think they have been given some sort of free pass to behave in an uncivilised and shameful fashion.

I think for many "outers" the issue had a lot to do with not feeling as though we had sufficient control of our own destiny. But I also think many people voted against the existing Government (which supported "in") rather than on the actual issues. There are also reports now that a fair number of those who voted out regret their choice and now feel as though it was mistakenly based on deliberately falsified information.

The political furore since has been positively laughable. Nobody seems to be actually leading this country any more. And nobody seems wildly interested in trying to get things back on track. Having just had three solid months of referendum campaigning now all we're getting is political showboating and jostling for the top spot. Nothing is actually going anywhere...you know?

I feel like a lot of people in Europe have felt quite insulted by some of the propaganda they have heard - of course I have no idea how reasoned the reporting of this was....but if even a very shiny report was filed it could easily tarnish quickly because of some unbelievably crass behaviour in some cases.

It seems to me that everybody needs to calm down, and think sensibly about where we go from here, and how we get there. And I also think all MPs with knives in their hands should take advantage of a no-back-stabbing amnesty immediately, before they lose which few shreds of credibility they have left. Much of this is shameful, and I am not happy.

All this does not make me proud to be English right now....and that hurts a lot.

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby JudyK » 05 Jul 2016, 07:23

Ok, now I'm completely with seedling and Jan. :good:

I think I've boiled my reaction down to 3 'A's - I'm angry, ashamed and anxious. I hope this is a cosmic wake up call for the "quiet masses".
Last edited by JudyK on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
JudyK

Postby Aoibhegreine » 05 Jul 2016, 08:40

I'm excited about it. It holds so much potential for a brighter future but only if handled correctly and that comes down to us the people. No, I have no idea if this will be a good thing or not, all I do know is that it could be. If we continue to speak, hold people accountable, put solutions rather than problems on the table we stand a chance. Running and hiding in fear is not an option, not now.

I also have to say the EU terrifies me. All this talk of federations and EU Armies. Who will they be accountable to? Who will be giving the orders? I have too many questions about it to trust it and although I have no trust in our own politicians I do have trust and faith in the people of Great Britain. Yes, we get things wrong, sometimes horribly, but when we get things right boy do we get it right.
Last edited by Aoibhegreine on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Aoibhegreine

Postby Jan » 12 Jul 2016, 21:03

I know what you mean about these over-arching policies. I too was disconcerted about the "ever closer union" concept...not because in any way I have any particular axe to grind with our European neighbours....but because I am British (eek) and I love this nation and its people. I entirely support our union with and service to both NATO and the UN. But I do not feel we need another political union of that sort. And I do seriously feel that is what is beginning to emerge from certain advocates of the "Superstate" of Europe. This was something that weighed very heavily on my mind when contemplating this issue. I also hold very strong objection to the negation of democratic process which the EU currently represents.

One thing I see as a triumph of the EU is the incorporation and co-operation of many member states in their undiluted form. But I wonder whether this can survive if the EU does not undergo radical reformation.

However you voted....we all now have an interesting decision to implement.... I am devastated by the behaviour of those who "lost". People I had regarded as good friends have behaved in an inexcusable fashion, calling those who voted "out" racist, ignorant or sub-normal in intelligence.

That is NOT the Britain of which I am so proud. This country made a democratic choice. Now we need to find out how best to implement it. There are a few politicians whose backsides need tanning in my opinion.....

But....as ever...the people WAIT....despite having spoken...odd situation.

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Return to General Chatter