Urgent censorship issue for us in the UK

Here's where we talk about all sorts of things that do not belong anywhere else

Moderator: Jan

Re: Urgent censorship issue for us in the UK

Postby Jan » 21 Apr 2014, 22:08

OK so...this is being rolled out - first among the no-doubt many are O2 and Sky Shield.

Please inform me if you use any service which disallows you access to Angel Paths. I'd really appreciate screen shots if you can manage them. Unfortunately none of the providers are offering a checking service for site owners. I think that is despicable to be truthful. Clearly they are doing their best to do this as cheaply and as unethically as they can manage. Apparently you can opt-in to specific sites you choose to visit without undermining your household's childsafe measures - though in truth when you see the kind of sites likely to be blocked here you really would wonder who dreamed this lot up. How easy the opt-in info for specific sites is as yet escapes me. But I will post it here when I find out.

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby m.standridge » 22 Apr 2014, 03:49

Another thing maybe in the background as an issue, is the double standard thing. Here in the States, our government can ban domestic sites and citizens from certain things--but people can call and bug you, or e-mail you, from other nations overseas, with impunity.
So only certain bad ones get spanked. Others don't.
MaxS
Last edited by m.standridge on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Best in all,
MaxS
m.standridge

Postby Jan » 28 Apr 2014, 18:02

That happens here too Max. We have a service where you can opt out of sales and marketing calls - but it only applies to UK companies...and even Great Ormond Street Hospital (very famous over here) charity arm decided to flout the regulations a few months ago. Nobody seems to actually be prosecuted for flouting the rules either, which galls me.

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Previous

Return to General Chatter