Card of the Day - Wednesday - 4 of Cups

Discuss the Card of the Day sent out every weekday in our free ezine. Jan goes into more details on the cards and you can talk about your experiences.

Moderator: Jan

Card of the Day - Wednesday - 4 of Cups

Postby Jan » 12 Jul 2017, 15:38

This is a card that offers reassurance and admonishment in equal measure. On the one hand it tells us that we are loved and cherished by people close to us; but it also warns us that it is all too easy to take abiding love for granted, and instead hanker after more ephemeral and amorphous emotional "highs". It's true that, even in the very worst times in our lives, there will almost always be something somewhere for which we can be grateful.

Just to give you a (perhaps unwelcome;-)) insight into my mind.....I was wondering today what the connection between "grateful" (full of grate - right?) and "to grate" was....couldn't see it. To grate is to irritate or annoy...so....how do we get the grateful? I mean it works for "to help" and "helpful"; "to care" and "careful"....so how come not to grate and grateful.....well after a little bit of mental juggling I think I might have figured it out.....grateful does not issue from the root verb to grate.....it issues from the root verb to gratify. That means to bring pleasure or satisfaction to....it's that pesky Lating again.

I have never claimed that my thought process happens in a straight line!!

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Re: Card of the Day - Wednesday - 4 of Cups

Postby prc » 20 Jul 2017, 12:04

i understand your thought process! thank you for your insights!
Last edited by prc on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
prc

Re: Card of the Day - Wednesday - 4 of Cups

Postby Jan » 20 Jul 2017, 20:11

That's one rabbit hole one needs to be wary not to fall down.....even I don't follow the meanderings in there too often!

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Return to Tarot Card of the Day