Card of the Day

Discuss the Card of the Day sent out every weekday in our free ezine. Jan goes into more details on the cards and you can talk about your experiences.

Moderator: Jan

Card of the Day

Postby Runningwater » 29 May 2014, 19:20

This was so right on and thank you. The one bright spot in my day...seemingly a promise forthcoming, unless the universe has just decided to note that I had planned to take my tax returns to deposit into my savings, hence the tarot card designated for today.

Job searching for an entire year with over 400 resumes out since August. I know, Join the Club. Lots of graduates facing the same dilemma. By all rights, perhaps the U.S. should do as they do in China which is enforce retirement once you reach 50 so the young ones can work and provide for their families.

I am now officially eligible for retirement. To what purpose? Yes, now 66. And, the path to reinventing myself and having the confidence to believe that all is possible (the "Optimistic" approach) is very elusive. Actually had an interview set up yesterday with a consulting company as an account manager. I checked out the website, and after much much consideration, decided to cancel as I know upfront I'd be wasting the President's time and my own as the company is filled with youthful energy. Not a good culture mix and of course, young companies would question my interest in working at my age. Perhaps yet, the time I spent yesterday re-registering with one of the temp agencies and speaking with the recruiter about two openings that I am excited and hopeful about, will have been worthwhile and will indeed come to fruition.

What does one do with their day. Ye gads, I even posted to Facebook. I spent a good amount of time blogging on the angel paths website about 8-9 years ago. Major difference in the quality of the commentary here vs. Facebook. Thanks Jan for a positive and enlightening website. End of story for now. :)
Last edited by Runningwater on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Runningwater

Re: Card of the Day

Postby Jan » 31 May 2014, 21:35

The number of people I come into contact with of "write-off" age who still have active minds, a wealth of experience and a great deal of wisdom to bring to a "youthful" workplace is beyond belief. I'd be written off now were I not self-employed. I think older people have a certain balancing effect to bring to an environment myself.....we learn which battles are worth fighting and which are borne of burgeoning egos for one thing.

I hope you find the company who understands the value of a steadying hand very soon. And I offer you all my good wishes in that search. The world does not belong to the young....it is our legacy to them...for better or worse.

And to any "youngster" out there who wonders why that exceptionally old person is employed.....go and find out. There are few situation you are going to encounter that we haven't already lived through....that's the value of us lot. And that's why sensible cultures venerate "the ancestors" - even us very young ancestors.

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby Runningwater » 02 Jun 2014, 21:12

“I cannot cause light; the most I can do is try to put myself in the path of its beam.” Annie Dillard

Loads of love back, Jan. That older people bring a sort of balancing to a work environment. That would be a great answer to bring to an interview situation.

"Those who thrive at their jobs work in a carefully managed culture where they feel respected, fairly compensated, and are performing duties that are interesting and meaningful. People who are happy with their jobs tell me that their employers reflect their own values; the organization is ethical, the people they work have integrity and there is a true respect for the leadership and the vision of the organization.
Companies with hard-working, productive employees are also usually connected to a work culture that recognizes the benefits of a strong work/life balance and also rewards employees for exemplary achievements. In a work culture like this, the employee’s personal and professional ambitions are usually tied to the ambitions for the success of the company; they go hand-in-hand. A common response from many employees is that happiness is simply not part of their work equation. They have long ago lost the sense that work is supposed to be satisfying.

"Work is supposed to be hard and the greatest reward is getting to a point where you didn’t have to do any.” Most people who share this depressing sentiment started their careers with different hopes; dreams of a fulfilling job and a satisfying career. But they reached a stagnant comfort level in their work routine. They performed their duties, they received their pay check and they guarded their benefits, but their only aspirations were to simply work as long as they could until retirement. They tried to keep out of the way of the inner-office politics, looked forward to the annual cost-of-living increase but didn’t aspire to more responsibility. Successful organizations recognize that in order to be successful, they also have to forge a genuine culture of employee satisfaction, camaraderie, vision and leadership. The goals a company sets for itself in the marketplace are only achievable through a strong internal culture that respects, empowers, rewards and encourages ambition and productivity in the workplace." andrewhudson'sjobslist.com

Thank you again for a truly awesome website. It's good to be home again. Wishing you and yours sweet dreams and much happiness.
Last edited by Runningwater on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Runningwater

Postby dandelionwine » 28 Jul 2016, 18:36

great thread, very timely for me.
:thumbsup:
Last edited by dandelionwine on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
dandelionwine

Return to Tarot Card of the Day