Need help with job reading

The general forum for chatting about anything related to Tarot and beyond.

Moderator: Jan

Need help with job reading

Postby Linden » 14 Sep 2016, 04:37

Hello everyone,

I've been stuck in a situation for about a year now with regards to my career. I was running my own business, but I was dissatisfied with that for a host of reasons. I decided to close it up and move to be closer to my family. I moved a year ago. The first six months I spent closing the business down, then another two months getting licensed for my job in the new state. All the time I was applying for jobs in the new location, but not hearing anything.

Now it's been about four months since I cleared away the last obstacle. I've had few interviews, and no offers. I have one outstanding interview right now that I'm waiting to hear back on. If I get this job I would have an hour-long commute, and I hate that but I would accept it. I've been networking with other professionals closer to home, and it looks like it's going to be difficult to get a job working for someone else around here, especially since I'm new to the area. I feel like I'm well qualified for many things, and my resume is sound, but nothing is happening and I feel stuck. I apply for new jobs almost every day but hear nothing on 99% of them, not even a rejection.

I'm thinking that if I don't get this job I'm waiting to hear on (which I am very solidly qualified for), then I may have to fall back on self-employment again just to be doing something, even though I dread the thought of it. I worked so, so hard, gave up time with friends and family, ground myself down until I started to have weird stress-related health problems, and never made as much money as I needed/wanted to make. My income right now comes from child support, which I hate because a) I hate feeling dependent and b) my ex is flaky and could pull the plug anytime or complain to the court that I've been unemployed too long and I'm not trying hard enough. Even my family is starting to give me the side-eye and tell me I should just get a job at the bookstore or something, though I'm embarrassed to apply with a couple of professional degrees on my resume and afraid it will damage my long-term chances of ever getting another job in my field.

One thing I did accomplish with the move was to reduce my cost of living expenses dramatically, so there's that.

I did an ellipse reading the other night about my job search, and in particular the interview I'm waiting to hear back on. Here's what I got:

1. Knight of Swords
2. Five of Wands
3. The Empress
4. Knight of Wands
5. Three of Disks
6. Prince of Cups
7. The Tower

At first when I pulled the Tower, I thought that was positive because I could use a way out of this impasse. But then I worried that it might be a bad development. I pulled a few clarifiers to try to get a better idea, and got: 1) Four of Swords, 2) Wheel of Fortune, 3) Knight of Disks.

I never know what it means to get Knights. Also, if the Knight of Wands is the advice card, does this mean I should act like a Knight of Wands? If that just leads me into a Tower situation, is that the right thing? I'm probably just chasing my own tail at this point. :(
Last edited by Linden on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Linden

Re: Need help with job reading

Postby sleepy » 19 Sep 2016, 13:16

Hi there,

Here's how what I can put together for you (a good few bits reproduced from Jan's helpful Card of The Day emails)
I don't know what you'll make of it, but remember this is my take on it and others may disagree.

1. Knight of Swords (Past Influences having a bearing on the situation)
In this position, this card will almost always indicate a man who has recently had profound influence. Very often the Sword quality will bring in the more negative qualities of the card, so he will have been angry, hurt, perhaps even vindictive. A badly dignified Knight of Swords is not a particularly nice individual. Whilst at an inner level he may be suffering quite grievously, it is rare that he will show this honestly. Instead he will often retreat to sarcasm, defensiveness and spite. We will almost always want to get away from him, even when we understand and empathise with his pain. His methods of expressing himself during such times will make him exceptionally difficult company.

2. Five of Wands (current influences)
This is interesting as it suggests stress and strife, which matches with your stress/work related problem, worrying about having to go back to being self employed, but it can also equally (and possibly also) apply to your relationships. Either your ex, or possibly the feeling you mention about your family wanting you to just accept a job.

3. The Empress (future influences)
In this position, the Empress will often indicate to us a woman who is willing to nurture and care for us. The obvious choice is, of course, one’s mother – but this can be any woman who knows us well, and places our hopes, dreams and ambitions very high on her own agenda. She is often completely unconditional in the way she wishes us well, and will offer us boundless support, guidance and encouragement. She will seem to be tireless in the energy she will offer, generous in her love toward us, and fierce in her defence of us. Such women are blessings in life. Another slightly different interpretation that may apply is that we are, ourselves, needed to offer such open and unreserved support.

4. Knight of Wands (What To Do)
A different aspect of this Knight arises when we draw him as an instruction – that of his function as Lord of Wyrd. Wyrd can be loosely described as the subtle energy of the Universe which permeates and surrounds each of us, thus joining us all together. When we touch the Web of Wyrd (with our Will or deep desire for example) we set in motion a vibration which is gradually amplified and expanded as it spreads across the world. The end result will eventually return to us, much changed perhaps, but nevertheless recognisable. It is with this process we draw to us the things that we want from life, and it is also this that can invite negativity into our lives. Of course, the more common interpretation of this card would be that we must take up the mantle of the Knight – to rigorously apply our sense of justice and ethics to all subjects we encounter.

5. Three of Disks (External influences)
Work being the influence here, it seems as if you feel your own sense of success here is hinging on (or you feel is hinging) on getting this particular job. Partly due to being unsuccessful in interviews before.

6. Prince of Cups (Hopes and Fear)
I wonder how much you really want the jobs you're applying for, do you really want them (the commute suggests grudgingly you do), but from what you've said I get the impress you really do want to work in the area you work in, at least you feel you should. Looking and seeing I'm not sure how much you do, or if it's fear/anxiety and a lack of confidence that are stopping you forging ahead. I read this as you see what you really want, and fear that you're not going to get it. There's also the fear that if you're not successful the issues relating to child support are going to come through.

7. The Tower (Final Outcome)
This is possibly the very worst position for the Tower to appear. One would need to be reading an exceptionally damaging situation beforehand for the Tower to prove positive and helpful. It is very important when encountering this placement to carefully study the preceding events in order to try to analyse exactly what sort of eventual outcome might be indicated by such a powerful and destructive card. It is also essential to examine any guidance of “qualification” positions in the reading, in order to work out what might be mitigating circumstances that would generally alleviate the sheer shock value that the Tower’s influence generally produces. However we must generally interpret it to indicate that existing conditions are going to be suddenly and possibly shockingly broken down.

Clarifiers for The Tower
1. Four of Swords
Taking a breather, recovery before withdrawing and re-assessing.

2. Wheel of Fortune
What is it that you want out of life? This relates back to the Prince of Cups, are you sure you're doing what you want? Ask yourself what would be your ideal situation, it doesn't matter if you feel it isn't possible, what would you like to be doing with your life, what would make you happy, not comfortable, but happy? What are your goals in life? Have a good hard think about it.

3. Knight of Disks
(From Jan's notes)
This is the message that the Knight of Disks brings to us - That when we feel empty, directionless, confused we need to focus our attention on the cycles of life. We need to watch the way that things change around us and recognise that we too are changing – even though we just don’t yet know how. We need to allow ourselves the time to lie fallow, to feel feelings which seem to be holding us in one spot, to acknowledge our fears, our doubts, our hurt and pain.

I'm seeing a theme here, I interpret it that you need to look at your life and decide just what is it that you want to do? There's a big change and it's probably not going to feel like it is positive. You need to re-assess your own happiness and build yourself a plan that will take you there. It's entirely possible it's a complete change from what you're doing? I wonder if perhaps you need to sit down with your family or perhaps friends and explain your worries and fears, and see what everyone has to say and see if there's advice, talk to people you've previously worked with in the same area, see what they suggest? I don't know why, but I'm getting ideas about going into partnership with someone, currently self employed, which is something you've not thought about, allowing you the chance to focus on your area of expertise. I don't know if it relates to the kind of work you do now, but it feels like a potential path that requires serious consideration.

I don't see this job as being the solution for you, but something has to change and if not voluntarily, it will happen anyway, and you can't stop it. You are worried all your work is for nothing, and it's not it's applicable in multiple areas, transferable skills, etc. However, you need to work on making yourself happy. I'm also getting the idea of helping others being important to you.

You may find after this week things seem better, Mercury is currently direct at the moment, and while a great time for reviewing things, it's not so great for communications, they often get muddled or misinterpreted. Mercury turns direct on Thursday (22nd Sept) at 1:21am BST, so that's be Wednesday (21st Sept) between 5:21pm and 8:21pm (depending on your timezone).

This may not seem that positive, but we need it to be night before it can become day again.
Last edited by sleepy on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
When you learn that our lives are a sequence of repeating patterns, it makes it easier to do something about it.
sleepy

Postby sleepy » 19 Sep 2016, 13:19

It may also be apropos of nothing, but checked the card of the day after posting and it's the Magus and Jan's posted it on Facebook with... "This is a terrific card to begin our week, full of promise and purpose. Remember to take a few seconds every now and again throughout the day to concentrate on what you really want in your life."
Last edited by sleepy on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
When you learn that our lives are a sequence of repeating patterns, it makes it easier to do something about it.
sleepy

Postby seedling » 20 Sep 2016, 15:39

What i am learning from my stuckness..
Life doesn't change unless i do!
I might live at a different location, but my mindset is still the same.

For me it is all about learning to accept and love myself, transcend these thoughts and feelings and deliberately alter them.. one by one, day by day.
What we play in our heads..is of old.. something said repeatedly in our environment en we started to believe it. Even so, that "they" don't need to say it, we rehash it and chastice ourselves.. High time to change these destructive affirmations..
And use deliberate positive affirmations.. they may sound as lies, but those negative ones definitely are as well.. which would you love to work on to make reality?!
http://www.decalsforthewall.com/image/data/ebay/galleryimages/gallery_M06.jpg
Last edited by seedling on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
hold your own.. know your name.. Go your own way..
seedling

Postby Jan » 30 Sep 2016, 20:59

As an aside - hello Sleepy....you woke up!!

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby headincloud » 25 Oct 2016, 01:02

Hi perhaps the spread isn't all bad though I don't have much reading experience. Knight Swords can usher in a conflictual situation echoed in the 5W possibly related to motherhood/work. Knight W is raring to go with a project, job or course etc involving working with others in the 3 coins and the page C can rep an invitation or offer coupled with the tower so a possible pleasant surprise. Best of luck.
1.Knight of Swords
2. Five of Wands
3. The Empress
4. Knight of Wands
5. Three of Disks
6. Prince of Cups
7. The Tower
Last edited by headincloud on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
headincloud

Return to Tarot & Mystical