Questions about your tarot and the Thoth Deck I have

The general forum for chatting about anything related to Tarot and beyond.

Moderator: Jan

Questions about your tarot and the Thoth Deck I have

Postby Energy_Chris » 18 Dec 2015, 04:01

I recently received a Thoth tarot deck and wanted to understand how related your description is to my deck.
My example is: 0 The Fool
in spiritual matters, represents ideas, thoughts, spirituality, that which endeavors to transcend earth. In material matters may show, if ill-dignified: folly, eccentricity, even mania. It represents the original, subtle, sudden impulse coming from a strange and unexpected quarter.

Yours:
"The Fool is the first card of the Tarot and is generally unnumbered, or numbered zero. The Fool is at the start of our journey and is the initiator. Seen by many as the innocent, he has an eagerness and freshness about him. He is young and carefree, entering the World without preconceptions.

The Fool trusts in life and expects his path to be a happy and rewarding one. There is faith in the gods to see him through and a complete absence of fear.

Sometimes the Fool is seen as too carefree - certainly a good dose of other people's more negative reality could damage him. However, for as long as the Fool has faith in his own purity and innocence, others will not be able to take advantage.

This is the child within. This is how we were before the many experiences of life forced us to build up so many walls. The Fool does not shade himself from the light - here we are born and from here we walk the path. It's time to jump off the cliff... "

What am i missing, how do I interpret my tarot? Are our decks totally different? Please help me out here.
Thanks kindly

Chris
Last edited by Energy_Chris on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Energy_Chris

Re: Questions about your tarot and the Thoth Deck I have

Postby Aoibhegreine » 18 Dec 2015, 11:11

Hi Chris

First welcome to the forum and your tarot journey.

Secondly, Jan's been reading tarot for years so when in doubt follow her meaning. That said tarot is an individual journey in which we each make our own associations with the tarot and meaning. EG: The tower for me is about creating a sold foundation to move forward with and that includes the removal of anything that no longer works. Sometimes this is my choice other times it's a choice forced on me.

One thing to note about tarot and the spiritual is that it's felt, it's a sense of knowing and that's something the mind can't understand so it takes a while. I've been at this now 3 years and I still struggle. Give yourself permission to learn, to make mistakes and don't be afraid to post readings here for us to read. Others can see what we miss and it helps broaden our understanding of tarot.

Good luck on your journey and don't forget we're here to help.

Aoi
Last edited by Aoibhegreine on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Aoibhegreine

Postby Cecilia » 18 Dec 2015, 12:15

Hi,
interpretations leaflets are guides and not fixed instructions. I cannot speak for Jan but I'm guessing she builds her bank of interpretations through experience and studies of the tarot.
I started out some 15 years ago, laying out three cards each day - past present future, and a weekly spread just the same and kept notes of each card. That way I slowly built an experience with each card. I also had a book with interpretations in which I added notes and/or highlighted accuracy of the book.

I have a Thoth deck but I don't use it much as I'm very comfortable with my RW. However I have the book of Thoth and found both that and Jan's site helpful.

Start experimenting and enjoy the ride :)
Last edited by Cecilia on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
I am a sponsor of a dog who is in Dogs Trust's care. Thousands of dogs in the UK need sponsors or a new home.
Cecilia

Postby Energy_Chris » 18 Dec 2015, 16:38

Thank you thank you!
This is excellent information! I appreciate this guidance and will start with daily 3 card spreads ,past, present, future, to help me grow and learn how to interpret the cards. I will use my judgment and the instruction manual presented with the deck to help me grow and understand each card. There's lots to learn and i'm very excited! I will also look for a Thoth book for more instruction as well as Jan's. The fool card is just so confusing i guess. After some spreads I should start to grow and understand each card better. I'd also like to find new and more challenging spreads, gradually adding and growing in difficulty. Any more spreads you might suggest???
Thank you so much already, this is excellent advice! :D
Last edited by Energy_Chris on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Energy_Chris

Postby Aoibhegreine » 18 Dec 2015, 18:31

You are most welcome. We each have cards that confuse us as well. For me it's the Hierophant, no clue what he represents and the court cards still catch me out. I'd suggest getting a tarot diary and writing down each spread in there with what you think the spread means and then have a results section too where you write down how the event or situation actually went. You can also take out a single card and spend some time writing down how it feels to you, what you think it's trying to tell you. EG: The six of swords always reminds me of the travellers in a fantasy novel stuck in a boat trying to sneak past the enemy on their way to safe harbour. So to me the 6 of swords means keep your head down and watch out the enemy is near. More importantly it means keep going no matter what, safe haven is close at hand if you get past this part.

As for spreads that depends entirely on the question. I find pinterest has some good ones and I tend to just read the cards as is. My go to spread though if I need more detail is the Celtic Cross. One other thing I'll add is that you shouldn't just stick to the Thoth meanings but also include RWS meanings. I find sometimes Jan's meaning hit the spot and other times they miss the market. ultimately there is no right or wrong way to read tarot, you just read it.
Last edited by Aoibhegreine on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Aoibhegreine

Postby seedling » 19 Dec 2015, 05:33

When I started I was suggested to google and read "the fools story" which goes through a cycle, with each new skill or situation we sort of go through such cycles.. Might help & understand the Fool a bit better too ^_^
Last edited by seedling on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
hold your own.. know your name.. Go your own way..
seedling

Postby Cecilia » 20 Dec 2015, 13:17

Energy_Chris wrote:Thank you thank you!
This is excellent information! I appreciate this guidance and will start with daily 3 card spreads ,past, present, future, to help me grow and learn how to interpret the cards. I will use my judgment and the instruction manual presented with the deck to help me grow and understand each card. There's lots to learn and i'm very excited! I will also look for a Thoth book for more instruction as well as Jan's. The fool card is just so confusing i guess. After some spreads I should start to grow and understand each card better. I'd also like to find new and more challenging spreads, gradually adding and growing in difficulty. Any more spreads you might suggest???
Thank you so much already, this is excellent advice! :D

No prob :hello:

About the fool... To me it has usually meant the beginning of a new journey of some sort. Project, job, studies, even a new feeling about something like love or going from sadness to hope etc. It has also indicated pregnancy... :D
It is numbered zero for a reason I guess :grin:

Spreads. I use Jan's Ellipse (under the tarot section on this site) mostly. It is very easy to follow and do card counting and elements etc. (advanced). Also I sometimes use my own version of the Celtic Cross as I've always struggled with the usual one, so that's an advice - create your own spread and see how it works for you.

Nowadays I'm usually short of time to do any readings for myself at all so I'm a bit jealous now :grin: ;)

C
Last edited by Cecilia on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
I am a sponsor of a dog who is in Dogs Trust's care. Thousands of dogs in the UK need sponsors or a new home.
Cecilia

Postby TheSixOfWands » 06 Jan 2016, 07:03

Hi Chris

My advice is to read lots of sources regarding tarot card meanings, as well as looking at the images on the cards and decide on what you think it means. Keep your own journal with meanings that make sense to you and rely on this.
Last edited by TheSixOfWands on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
- Martin
TheSixOfWands

Postby Seraphina » 29 Jan 2016, 17:00

Hi Chris
I think Jan uses the Thoth deck, I myself have been reading tarot for about 12 years and my go to deck is the RWS, which was the first deck I learnt with, I learnt the basic core meanings for that deck through books and online in the early days of my study, and as my knowledge expanded I used my intuition to add more layers of meaning to my readings. As others have said, reading tarot is a personal journey and we are all different, just do what feels right for you :)
Last edited by Seraphina on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life.
Tip toe if you must,
But take the step.
Seraphina

Return to Tarot & Mystical