Got lucky in a charity shop at the weekend

The general forum for chatting about anything related to Tarot and beyond.

Moderator: Jan

Got lucky in a charity shop at the weekend

Postby MandMaud » 20 Jun 2012, 16:26

On Saturday I noticed a basket of 'silly little' kids' things at nothingy prices, on the shelf with children's books.

For less than £3 total, I picked up:
— a Lord of the Rings Tarot deck, box very 'tired' but cards in excellent condition
— an unopened (still in its plastic) 1993 Original Rider Waite
— a Tarot of Frown Strong, which I'd never heard of – from googling I now know it's out of print and sought-after; it was 75p!

I'm not selling... :) at least not for the time being, I don't feel like it.
I do feel a bit undeserving as such a beginner, not a collector or anything.

What I'm most pleased by, actually, is that when I first looked through the 22 Frown Strong cards I felt they were really strong, important.

I have learnt a bit on the internet about that deck but does anyone know why it is so named?

Thoughts on cleansing/smudging will be welcome :) or does it work by just time spent with a deck? I have some ideas but can't settle on one: sunlight, moonlight, burning sage... (after re-ordering of course). The LotR has no particular energies around it but another, that arrived the same day(!), feels full of someone else; nothing unpleasant, just strongly not-me. That one is Running Press Tarot: the Complete Kit, an impulse eBay buy that only interested me because it's small. I never intended to collect!!
Last edited by MandMaud on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
MandMaud
"The bird is struggling out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world." Hermann Hesse
MandMaud

Re: Got lucky in a charity shop at the weekend

Postby prc » 20 Jun 2012, 18:15

i don't have an answer on smudging, but very lucky for you... glad for your fortune! :)
Last edited by prc on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
prc

Postby Jan » 20 Jun 2012, 19:09

You've got the bug - you'll never escape now.....

I use moonlight- doesn't fade the cards. But you'll need to wait for a few days - the moon goes New tomorrow.

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby MandMaud » 20 Jun 2012, 20:25

And what a new moon it is this time!

I am beginning to do non-important spreads just because I can't keep my hands off them. (Though it's the other way round with the FS deck, I can't bring myself to do anything except look at those cards one by one - shuffling feels like an impertinence. I'm sure I'll get over that sooner or later!)

I think tomorrow I'll burn the sage I happen to have anyway, and then see if it feels that I need to do something else.

Jan wrote:You've got the bug - you'll never escape now.....

:lol: aaaagh...
MandMaud
"The bird is struggling out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world." Hermann Hesse
MandMaud

Postby Jan » 21 Jun 2012, 19:41

You enjoy astrology?

Loadsa love
Remember whence you came
Jan

Postby MandMaud » 21 Jun 2012, 20:32

Jan wrote:You enjoy astrology?

Yep, though the need to get into it seriously hit me only this year, about the same time as I started studying Tarot properly, and for a couple of months Tarot has taken over.

I will drop you all most rudely when astrology takes over again. I'm a fickle serial obsesser... ;)

I grew up with astrology but only at the very basic level, Sun signs and a bit of cusps (lots of blanket statements!), but now I understand the other planets' positions and ascendants and nodes etc - at least, not understand, but I know the definitions.

It got too mathsy for a bit, I'm waiting for my mathsy brain to return.
MandMaud
MandMaud

Postby Jan » 23 Jun 2012, 21:11

I astounded myseif when I discovered I took to hand-drawing charts like a duck to water - course right after I got the hang of that they released computer programmes that did this perfectly effectively.

Loadsa love
Remember whence you came
Jan

Postby MandMaud » 25 Jun 2012, 14:47

Jan wrote:I astounded myseif when I discovered I took to hand-drawing charts like a duck to water - course right after I got the hang of that they released computer programmes that did this perfectly effectively.
:rotfl:
MandMaud
MandMaud

Postby Rota » 15 Aug 2013, 21:51

I just found this post about the Taro of Frown strong. The reason you found them "really strong, important" is because they are!
They were the author's attempt to peal back the layers of vague history and Chinese whispers that now surround the purpose of Tarot cards.
They were always meant to be a teaching tool and a store of knowledge about the possibility of human life.
The reading of the cards is quite a low expression of a very high art that the Taro was.
In them are the secrets of numbers. The number 21 used to be significant - it was the age you were given the keys of the door. 21 old silver shillings used to be worth a golden guinea.
All numbers are made up of rods and cups - rods transmit, cups receive and hold. The juggler is the number one card (rod) the priestess number two (rod and cup combined). And so much more.....
The Chinese used to have Bird tarots where you would walk in and someone could read your development by how the birds reacted to your charisma (or lack of it) and where the birds sat in the branches because of it!
Those cards are part of the teachings of an Esoteric School known as the Emin and there is a book by the author of the cards called "Frown Strong".
I hope that helps to explain a little of your feelings when you look at the cards.
Last edited by Rota on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Rota

Postby MandMaud » 20 Aug 2013, 20:46

Rota wrote:I just found this post about the Taro of Frown strong. The reason you found them "really strong, important" is because they are!
They were the author's attempt to peal back the layers of vague history and Chinese whispers that now surround the purpose of Tarot cards.
They were always meant to be a teaching tool and a store of knowledge about the possibility of human life.
The reading of the cards is quite a low expression of a very high art that the Taro was.
In them are the secrets of numbers. The number 21 used to be significant - it was the age you were given the keys of the door. 21 old silver shillings used to be worth a golden guinea.
All numbers are made up of rods and cups - rods transmit, cups receive and hold. The juggler is the number one card (rod) the priestess number two (rod and cup combined). And so much more.....
The Chinese used to have Bird tarots where you would walk in and someone could read your development by how the birds reacted to your charisma (or lack of it) and where the birds sat in the branches because of it!
Those cards are part of the teachings of an Esoteric School known as the Emin and there is a book by the author of the cards called "Frown Strong".
I hope that helps to explain a little of your feelings when you look at the cards.

Thank you Rota (neat username by the way), that's loads more than I knew. I hadn't found out all that on the internet - or maybe when I was researching/googling, it was "too much information" at the time but here you have put it concisely.

I need to go back to that deck since it got put away at the time, I didn't feel ready for it, but perhaps could be now or soon.

Funny you should mention birds, this summer I've been "stalked" by a blackbird around the house. He glares at me and seems to be gazing, puzzling over me; then each time, when I get the message that I'm procrastinating about something, he stops doing it. Great reminder! :P
MandMaud
MandMaud

Next

Return to Tarot & Mystical