Intellectual property thieves

Please read this first!

Moderator: Jan

Intellectual property thieves

Postby Jan » 01 Aug 2014, 20:37

Ooooh...how much do I despise these people? Why do they imagine - with a copyright notice on every single page of this site - it is OK to steal my words? I have just spent a very disgustingly productive two hours hunting the swine down, notifying their platforms and ISP's and contacting them directly where I am able.

Thieving disrespectful little.......persons.....

Why the hell do people imagine that stealing your words is any different than your iphone or your tv? It's just bloody easier.

If you are an idiot currently contemplating stealing my words it's highly unlikely you will read this.....but believe me..I will hunt you down and I will make your life very very uncomfortable. Do you understand me? Try ASKING me....you really never can tell till you ASK....

The copyright info is HERE:
http://www.angelpaths.com/copyright.html

Every single page on the site....you know...those pages you scrape with your stupid intent and thieving attitude?

I don't like people who try to steal my life work. Does it show?

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Re: Intellectual property thieves

Postby Aoibhegreine » 01 Aug 2014, 21:10

It's pathetic really. And it always affects the little guys and girls. So , go girl. Kick ass.
Last edited by Aoibhegreine on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Aoibhegreine

Postby Jan » 01 Aug 2014, 21:26

I have to say, in fairness, the big platforms like Facebook, Google, Tumblr (not so much Ebay) have begun to make it a lot easier to report copyright infringement. It used to be a nightmare finding out where to go - in the end back in the day I went to whois and tracked down the ISP abuse addy.....you can end up getting an entire licence for an ISP pulled if they fail to comply - and I have done that a few times....brought me great satisfaction did that. I am thoroughly bloody minded on this one. I will not be thieved from.

I guess it goes back to that old-fashioned idea that everything on the internet is free...I actually came across this Tumblr site claiming precisely that earlier. When I glanced over the site I thought "Yes...you might not have this attitude if you had created a site with your OWN effort and work invested....but since all you have done is surf and rip you really would have no idea would you?"

I guess the point is the more people prosecute, the more people complain and demand the big corps spend time and money removing copyrighted material, the stricter the controls will become until the platforms themselves start prosecuting to stop themselves being liable. I'm happy to contribute to that set of Maat's scales.

Intellectual theft is so pathetic because it's trying to BE somebody else...as though you are capable of thinking their thoughts...why not go and get yourself well enough educated that you are proud of your OWN thoughts?

I'm really pretty free and easy about people quoting me if they have my permission and they credit me. it is a bit of a double-edged sword because Google watch repeat info on the web and penalise sites where it happens often. So that hits our rankings here. But on the other hand I see it as a massive compliment when somebody writes to me and say "Can I share your words with my group?" or whatever.

But when somebody is using my words to empower their BOUGHT app......when they are using my words to sell their goods on Ebay...and they have just ripped and pasted.......ah...now...things go to a whole other level there. Found both of those in the last couple of days.....just greedy and dark and ...plain thievery.

As you can tell I could stay on my soapbox a long time on this......

Loadsa love
Remember whence you came
Jan

Postby Aoibhegreine » 01 Aug 2014, 22:03

I think people are just beginning to realise the impact of the internet on our lives and therefore more is being done to curb the infringement. I'm all for freedom of speech but other people works is not free.
Aoibhegreine

Postby Jan » 02 Aug 2014, 14:56

Agreed. Any writer will be only too happy to regale others with the pain of trying to find the words - to get them to flow so they weave something meaningful for the reader. We all have "those" times don't we?

I'm just glad it's no longer typewriters and paper - I have been known to cover an entire floor with screwed up bits of paper - dreadful effect on trees....the cats always enjoyed though.

Tell you one thing that is quite eye-opening - when I find one of these I write to them and ask them (politely) to forward to me the mail I sent them that gave them permission to use my words. Now since I keep records of who I give permission to, it's almost always the case that they do not have permission...and yet 75% of this crop I find over the last few days all CLAIMED they had applied. I don't think so....but the regularity with which this is trotted out is....mindblowing. There must be a forum somewhere exchanging tips on what to do when you get a query on copyright. I should go and look for that.

I dunno. The app guy got back to me and told me a lot more than he really needed to about how things have been for him. And I think he understands that it's just not fair nor funny nor clever.... The Ebay person claimed they did not write the copy on their ads and anyhow that object didn't sell anyhow (er......yeh). They'll run foul of me the next time I start searching on specific cards. I don't think they even realise just how easy it is to find them...you know? You just type in a couple of sentences in quotes on Google and out they all fall......

Humph......

Loadsa love
Remember whence you came
Jan

Postby Aoibhegreine » 02 Aug 2014, 15:43

In the UK the other issue is that people don't really understand crime. They really believe that using anothers words is not stealling as 'it's not harming anyone' and by that they mean violence. They don't understand that there is a damage.
Aoibhegreine

Postby Jan » 02 Aug 2014, 15:53

Funnily enough none of these people are English. Where I am definitely able to identify a nationality they're US based.

Loadsa love
Remember whence you came
Jan

Return to Site News and User Support