Flowers with lovely scent for the home

Whether you have green fingers or brown thumbs, here's the place to talk about gardening and plants

Moderator: Jan

Flowers with lovely scent for the home

Postby spring_blossom » 07 Aug 2009, 11:21

Hi Marlita and All,

I was wondering if anyone could please suggest some flowers which might be available during spring time that have a lovely scent and can last for long while inside the house, i.e. in a vase. One that seems to excude a very gentle scent in like a lilum (sp?). Once I brought a large bunch of these flowers and when they opened there was a lovely scent in the room. Now, I don't know if the scent was more prominent in the evening/night.... or was that my imagination!? :D

Thanks!
'I make my own reality. My happiness and wellbeing are courtesy of me, not someone else'.
spring_blossom

Re: Flowers with lovely scent for the home

Postby rainbowspirit » 15 Sep 2009, 09:23

Hello. Sorry this is rather a slow reply. I can think of jasmine, which I believe has varieties that flower in spring, viburnum, azaleas as shrubs, bulbs like hyacynth, some of the daffodils and tulips can be scented and peonies - which look amazing as well as often having a sweet scent :D
Beth

crystals are coping stones along life's path
rainbowspirit

Postby Marlita » 20 Sep 2009, 01:52

Hi! I personally enjoy sweet peas and of course lilacs are a personal favorite. Late spring (June here in zone 5) valerian is another favorite as well as several iris are fragrant. Lily of the valley are also a favorite. Well hope this helps a little. Have a wonderful and gorgeous day full of butterflies bringing everything perfect into your life. marlita
Marlita

Postby spring_blossom » 24 Sep 2009, 04:04

Hi Rainbowspirit and Marlitia!

Thanks for the suggestions! Wow, some of the suggestions you both have made were ones which I had not though off! We had sweet peas in my parents garden when I was growing up, but that was so many years ago that I almost forgot about sweet peas. I used to love the different colours and scents. And also hyacynth... they are another lovely flower. All the suggestions were great and I will have a look out for them. I love to have fresh flowers in the home. Although they can be a bit expensive they are wonderful to have.

Thanks again! Take care and wishing you both a blooming good day! :D
'I make my own reality. My happiness and wellbeing are courtesy of me, not someone else'.
spring_blossom

Return to Marlita's Gardening Forum