Creating a "baby safe" garden...

Whether you have green fingers or brown thumbs, here's the place to talk about gardening and plants

Moderator: Jan

Creating a "baby safe" garden...

Postby Epiphany » 09 Apr 2009, 23:09

Hello...

I am looking forward to planning/starting a new (most likely potted) garden in the near future. Having a 9 month old, I would like for it to be as safe as possible for him, while still being interesting and full of variety. Do you have any suggestions or resources I could check into regarding distinguishing "safe" plants, etc?

Thanks!
:wave:
m
Take care of you,
m
Epiphany

Re: Creating a "baby safe" garden...

Postby Jan » 10 Apr 2009, 12:52

This looks pretty comprehensive ;-)

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bsaf ... vq,00.html

Loadsa love
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby Epiphany » 13 Apr 2009, 00:02

Thanks Jan :wave:
Take care of you,
m
Epiphany

Postby Marlita » 18 Apr 2009, 03:23

Hi! I hope you have a wonderful children's garden. We have several public gardens in the area that are dedicated to and for children but most are for children over 2 years old. They are touch and feel and safe if tasted. One is with fruits and veggies to pick and eat (cherry tomatoes are a favorite). I LOVE herbs with my grandchildren, but again, they are older. The leaves of pineapple sage smell wonderful and can be eaten. Children love the feel of "lamb's ears" and my grandchildren love bright colors. They don't care if it's an expensive rare plant or a dandelion. My grandchildren have really enjoyed dandelions since they were able to walk and they make great "mommy bouquets" and again are safe if eaten. They also really like sunflowers - the bigger the better. I wish you a wonderful garden and lots of "help!" That to me is the best of gardening with any child. They're so in love with planting. I have a cacti that looks like bug and my youngest grandson - 4 years old last Feb - even named it. It's name is Happy Kookie Bug. (smile) Now do something really FUN and let your baby enjoy the mud and butterflies and worms and whatever else the gardening goddess blesses him/her with. Have a perfect day of everything wonderful floating into your life on sunbeams of wonderful light. marlita who will be planting rose bushes tomorrow which according to the weather man will be a perfect gardening day - FINALLY!!! (SMILE)
Marlita

Return to Marlita's Gardening Forum