Really old jasmine vine

Whether you have green fingers or brown thumbs, here's the place to talk about gardening and plants

Moderator: Jan

Really old jasmine vine

Postby Jan » 06 Apr 2009, 13:19

I inherited this. Some of its base stems are more like minor trunks than stems, and it has a great deal of dead wood in it. Gradually the productivity of both leaves and flowers has declined. Now what i want to know is this - do you reckon it's pretty much a dead duck? Or can I recover it? And if so, how? My instinct tells me to take a saw to it and just try to get all the spent wood out...but is that the right thing to do?

Loadsa love
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Re: Really old jasmine vine

Postby Marlita » 08 Apr 2009, 02:07

Hi! Well, from what I've read and some experience, I would say to cut ALL the dead "wood." THEN, cut the rest back by 1/3. This should promote new growth and more flowers. I wouldn't give up on it until you try this. If that doesn't work, some of the books say to cut it all to approximately 1 foot. I think that is really too drastic and the few that I know that did this, had NO success, so wishing Poor Ms. Jasmine a continued and beautiful life. Now do something really FUN! We had SNOW here today! YUCK!!!! Have a perfect and wonderful day full of hugs and love and everything perfect all floating into your life on butterfly wings. Marlita the can't wait to get to the dirt gardener (smile)
Marlita

Postby Jan » 08 Apr 2009, 10:06

OK *Jan heads for the jasmine wildly waving secateurs*

Thanks. Will let you know. Hey, marlita, do you think it might appreciate feeding as well. This thing is way old - thickest of its growth stems really has to be 5 inches diameter.

Loadsa love
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby Cecilia » 08 Apr 2009, 12:42

hello Jan,

from what I've been told you should feed your Jasmine once a month from spring till autumn with a liquid fertilizer - or - once with a slow-release granular fertilizer.

Once you've cut all the dead wood, you cannot expect it to bloom this year as the blooming is best on the previous years stems.

And you need to prune it right after it is through blooming the following years. Don't wait too long.

love and hugs
Cecilia
I am a sponsor of a dog who is in Dogs Trust's care. Thousands of dogs in the UK need sponsors or a new home.
Cecilia

Return to Marlita's Gardening Forum