Secret Garden

Whether you have green fingers or brown thumbs, here's the place to talk about gardening and plants

Moderator: Jan

Secret Garden

Postby Runningwater » 06 Aug 2014, 23:42

In honor of Mother's Day, my sister downloaded an idea from [Pinterest] for "The Secret Garden" -- ergo, here is a photo with the original idea that caught my sister's eye and creativity. I think Marita's readers will enjoy. She made two, one she gave to me. For my book, she used sphagnum moss and planted some basil in a small pot in mine. The book was a thrift shop- find and the only hard part she said was coring out the pages. It made a beautiful centrepiece on my kitchen table. I kept the paper butterfly and the small wooden bench seat she used in my "Secret Garden". The bench looks exactly like the one we have in our garden that my husband gave to his mother, and after she passed, he kept.

Summer in Colorado has been gloriously temperate with afternoon showers, temperatures in the 80's (26.6666667 Celcius) and only a few days of unbearable 99-102 (37.22 Celcius) in our part of town, and the rose bushes are loving this pattern of weather that mother nature has so thoughtfully provided this year. My honey and I love acorn squash and my husband bought 7 plants and then decided not to thin them out when all them started to grow. I swear the leaves so far are as big as elephant ears, and yikes, our small garden plot has so far yielded over 30 baby acorn squash yet we have the full month of August, September and October with more blossoms blooming. Now, we'll see how the tomatoes and peppers do for in September, it's canned salsa time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jan on 07 Aug 2014, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ''
Runningwater

Re: Secret Garden

Postby Jan » 07 Aug 2014, 18:00

That's beautiful!!

You know over here (UK) we have had exactly the opposite crops. I was stupid enough to trial four new varieties this year - runners, French beans, tomatoes and courgettes (you call them zucchini). The runners are....a bit sad...large plant....low yield. They're called Moonlight and I picked them for the white flowers - but I've given up on that now. The courgettes are no bigger than my little finger and horribly low-growing. The tomato was Sungold and they're gluggy yucky horrid.....despite glowing reviews. French beans are OK though ;-) Bit white-fly prone, mind.

A few years ago I bought a tomato plant at random in a garden centre and this produced the most fantastically high-yielding gorgeous yellow pear-shaped tomatoes...really fleshy and tasty....course the garden centre did not have it the following or subsequent years...but I have been rattling all their memories down there and we reckon we know what it was....so come next year I find out!

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby polkadotty » 03 Feb 2015, 21:45

I have just seen this, wow.....its now my latest project. I have to do this.
Last edited by polkadotty on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
polkadotty

Postby seedling » 04 Feb 2015, 02:06

Good time to start!
When you start from seeds..soak 'm first, than they alteady have nutrition within..more chances they all sprout!
Enjoy!!
Last edited by seedling on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
hold your own.. know your name.. Go your own way..
seedling

Postby Jan » 04 Feb 2015, 19:38

It IS gorgeous isn't it?

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Return to Marlita's Gardening Forum