"Lasagne" beds

Whether you have green fingers or brown thumbs, here's the place to talk about gardening and plants

Moderator: Jan

"Lasagne" beds

Postby Jan » 15 Jul 2014, 20:17

Has anybody out there tried this method of making new beds in the garden? I'm on my first go, trying to make the basis for a little woodland garden under a beautiful maple tree in my garden right now. I need the ground raising pretty significantly because the tree tends to root relatively shallowly - ie the soil is nearly impossible to even get a daffodil bulb into cos of tree roots. Now I'm wondering how high I need to raise this bed, and also whether high nitrogen compost is going to help woodland plants? Also gets a lot of leaf mould of course in the autumn.

Glad for any advice!

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Re: "Lasagne" beds

Postby Jan » 24 Jul 2014, 23:00

Nobody is doing these are they? Ah.

Best I record my experiences then for future reference. The grass mowings make a terrific mulch to bury weeds, but I am bothered that this is all there is there right now. I'm thinking of doing some copious amounts of paper shredding and then trying to weight it all down with cardboard.....with then more clippings. I'm pretty edgy of putting anything in there with roots or seeds cos I am not convinced it builds up the level of heat a proper compost heap creates. But thus far I have much hay!! I've raised the level about two inches so far - this is pretty good really cos it's a large expanse. But then I have a lot of lawn (she says as she sighs because it's all six inches long again).

It is important BTW to mulch relatively thinly each time else if it rains it turns into an uggy mess. And you need to run a fork lightly over it about twice a week to ensure it dries evenly. In this hot weather it's not too gross...but it would be in a wet summer. I'm relying on the maple to deposit loads of leaf mould in the autumn. When I will also transfer wild violets and hornbeam from the front garden to the back.....hopefully.

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Return to Marlita's Gardening Forum