Indoor garden?

Whether you have green fingers or brown thumbs, here's the place to talk about gardening and plants

Moderator: Jan

Indoor garden?

Postby Seraphina » 08 Nov 2013, 09:51

Hi guys
I have never grown anything in my life... But I have a strong desire to grow some herbs and even some small flowers... The problem is I do not have a garden or a balcony, so I thought may be I could plant and grow indoors??

I don't know if that is even possible or how I would go about it, but I would love to try and do it.. So is that a crazy idea? Can it be done? I'm not a gardener, but I would very much like to plant, tend and watch as new growth emerges!
I'm not sure if this is even the time of year to be trying to grow anything lol, I'm a complete novice!

Seraphina :)
Last edited by Seraphina on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life.
Tip toe if you must,
But take the step.
Seraphina

Re: Indoor garden?

Postby seedling » 08 Nov 2013, 19:26

There are websites for appartment gardening!
Just browse around on the internet and you'll find some great ones.

Good luck!!
Last edited by seedling on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
hold your own.. know your name.. Go your own way..
seedling

Postby Aoibhegreine » 09 Nov 2013, 11:43

Hi Seraphina

Im not a gardener myself but like you I want to learn. Plus I'm lucky my mother gardens so I have some basic understanding. First of all, indoor gardening can be done as my mother as many herbs growing quite happily on the kitchen window. First thing you need to do is study. In the UK we have the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) and they list all the plants and their requirements on their website. Plus there are so many books available for indoor planting. After that it's just pick a plant you want to grow and learn how to look after it. And don't be surprised when they die. You do go through quite a few plants before you get it right. It's horrible but that's life.

Good luck.
Last edited by Aoibhegreine on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Aoibhegreine

Postby newroser » 10 Nov 2013, 17:53

Hi there

Try starting with a few pot plants to decorate. Also, a few empty pots with some fresh potting mix are perfect for some little baby herbs (or seeds). You can line these up on window sills, or a table in front of a window. Then give them a little water so the soil is damp to the touch but not wet or visibly sodden, an keep them that way.

Let us know what you choose, and we'll take it from there!
Last edited by newroser on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
newroser

Postby Seraphina » 10 Nov 2013, 23:41

Thank you guys!
I cannot wait to get started! :D
Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life.
Tip toe if you must,
But take the step.
Seraphina

Postby prc » 10 Nov 2013, 23:47

sounds like fun... i think i may try this, too. i've been wanting to grow herbs.
Last edited by prc on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
prc

Postby seedling » 12 Nov 2013, 18:09

Seraphina wrote:Thank you guys!
I cannot wait to get started! :D
totally welcome :D
it's a bit of a passion of mine :D , no matter where or how I live ;)
Last edited by seedling on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
hold your own.. know your name.. Go your own way..
seedling

Postby Seraphina » 30 Nov 2013, 08:32

Hi guys
Well where does the time go???
I've had to put my growing skills (what growing skills? Lol) on hold, I've been on indoor gardening websites, downloaded e-books from amazon, gathered various tools.... Then had a setback with my injured shoulder, hence why I've not been around lately!
Although the bones have now healed...I'm in quite a bit of pain, my consultant thinks I may have soft tissue and tendon damage, so I have to go for a MRI scan in a couple of months if the swelling and pain persists, so I've been feeling a bit down, in pain and have not been able to start my indoor garden! I have put it on hold for the moment, but I will still go ahead with it..I'm still keen to grow my own herbs and flowers, I know I will do it, I'm just not quite in the right frame of mind!
The info I have collected though is more than adequate to help me once I get started, I may wait until early next year before I start now, with December nearly upon us and with all what that entails, early next year sounds better for me! :)
Tip toe if you must,
But take the step.
Seraphina

Postby Aoibhegreine » 30 Nov 2013, 13:18

I'm sorry to hear that Seraphina, I was hoping you were well on the mend by now. One thing I'll say is don't put things on hold. Get one plant now as they pretty much tend to look after themselves and you may find the plant helps you heal. I have a money plant I received from work one year in my room and it's a pretty sturdy plant that requires very little attention. I've also bought a rose plant that seems to need a bit more attention but plants tend to get on with things. A bit of water, some food and sunlight and they're happy. Personally, I'd start with the money plant.

Good luck and best wishes
Last edited by Aoibhegreine on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Aoibhegreine

Return to Marlita's Gardening Forum