To shrink a tree?!

Whether you have green fingers or brown thumbs, here's the place to talk about gardening and plants

Moderator: Jan

To shrink a tree?!

Postby MandMaud » 17 Sep 2012, 15:05

OK, I know magic is done around here ;) but I do know I won't be able to actually shrink my tree. Just remembered we have a gardening forum here, where I already know people!

But the previous people made a hedge of thuja, not that you can really call it a hedge with only 2 trees. I love their scent but wouldn't have had anything higher than 4ft (trees, fence, etc) between us and the neighbours. While I was ill, the thuja wasn't pruned at all and since has been cut a maximum of once a year - it's now about 6-7 ft...

I have googled when it's ok to trim thuja and this is a good time of year, but not sure if it's possible to reduce the height. (Without ruining the look of course. This is the garden where I sacrificed a flowering cherry and put a bird table on the amuptated stump at about 4ft height, but the tree has come back all round - nice to see the birds sitting in!) Anyone? :)
mm
Last edited by MandMaud on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
MandMaud
"The bird is struggling out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world." Hermann Hesse
MandMaud

Re: To shrink a tree?!

Postby seedling » 17 Sep 2012, 17:20

Could you add a photo please..
and it would be nice to have you add/draw a line, what height you actually want it to be..
(a program like paint or photoshop is useful than)

that helps us see how the situation is now ;-) :thumbsup:
Last edited by seedling on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
hold your own.. know your name.. Go your own way..
seedling

Postby MandMaud » 17 Sep 2012, 19:04

seedling wrote:Could you add a photo please..
and it would be nice to have you add/draw a line, what height you actually want it to be..
(a program like paint or photoshop is useful than)

that helps us see how the situation is now ;-) :thumbsup:

Never thought of a photo! It will have to wait till the sun's up. :)

I have read that taking the top off the main trunk is the quickest way to kill a tree. But that's exactly what I had done to the ornamental cherry and lo and behold, it's back. Except for the bit with bird table nailed on of course! I'll get a pic of that too. :)
MandMaud
"The bird is struggling out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world." Hermann Hesse
MandMaud

Postby Jan » 18 Sep 2012, 19:48

That poor tree must have really yelped when it was getting nailed....

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby MandMaud » 19 Sep 2012, 20:24

I did warn it that it was going to become a bird table. The bird table was badly needed... The tree must be fairly happy in its new state, certainly it appears happy now (except it has leaf curl YET AGAIN which is chronic and incurable and the reason I gave up trying to keep it full sized).

About to try my first-ever uploading of pics to the forum! :)
MandMaud
MandMaud

Postby MandMaud » 19 Sep 2012, 21:47

Yabbadabbadoo, did it :D

If you can make out the fence behind (left end of the image, before the overgrown forsythia), that would be the *maximum* height I'm hoping for. Not sure it's possible though, that would take about 1/4 off the height of the thuja. (It is two trees in fact.)

From the end: Image

The white blobs are to show roughly the height - they were meant to be pink but I'm not used to Photobucket. :)
MandMaud
MandMaud

Postby seedling » 20 Sep 2012, 07:44

I send a PM ;-)

Thuya (pyramidalis): Do not shear in late summer of fall.. so I suppose cutting down right know is a big no-no!
Last edited by seedling on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
hold your own.. know your name.. Go your own way..
seedling

Postby Jan » 20 Sep 2012, 17:53

Surely that would respond to the bit at a time method? Might take you a couple of years....but you'd have more control over the shape also if reducing steadily over a few springs?

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby MandMaud » 20 Sep 2012, 18:43

I forgot! The bird table! (It is a wooden tray that I remember my gran using all the time, cut in half. She'd approve methinx. :) )
... I can't get it to look smaller, sorry ...
MandMaud
MandMaud

Postby MandMaud » 20 Sep 2012, 18:47

Trouble is, with this tree the green seems to be all on the outside, bare branches within. Trimming the sides would leave naked branches...

The bit at a time was what I intended to try - on top that is, not beneath - but (a) same prob, don't know whether or not it actually is the case; (b) I can't do the top myself and any others I've asked have just cut 'straight' whereas if it was me I'd do a real hairdressing job, snip here, hack there, y'know ;) ruthlessness + artistic vision = well shaped shrub! With houseplants, easy.
MandMaud
MandMaud

Next

Return to Marlita's Gardening Forum