Passionflower vs. Passionflower Vine

Whether you have green fingers or brown thumbs, here's the place to talk about gardening and plants

Moderator: Jan

Passionflower vs. Passionflower Vine

Postby wishinglove » 30 Nov 2011, 14:50

Calling all herbalists!

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this question, so I decided on the gardening forum as it is about a plant. Over the years I've found passionflower very useful in calming anxiety. My brand of choice has been gaia and I use the alcohol-free tincture. I picked up a new bottle the other day and noticed later that I had inadvertently purchased passionflower vine (passiflora incarnata) instead of passionflower (which is also sold by gaia). I checked on the company website for the difference between the two and also did a general search, but could not find any information distinguishing the two as far as efficacy or effects on the nervous system. I did notice that passionflower costs about twice as much as passionflower vine. If anyone knows the difference between these two from an herbal remedy perspective, I would appreciate your insight. Thank you!

Love,
wish xo
Last edited by wishinglove on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: ''
May all beings, without exception, be happy and free from suffering.
wishinglove

Re: Passionflower vs. Passionflower Vine

Postby Indemnity » 30 Nov 2011, 16:21

This is obviously hear-say, but it's the only info the internet wanted to give me on the subject of vines and parts of it.
*insert disclaimer here*
http://www.altnature.com/gallery/passionflower-2.htm
Use all of the aerial parts including stems; don't discard them like you do with most herbs as they contain medicinal properties. It seems to me that tea made with the stems is more potent than just the leaves and flowers. Gather edible fresh, juicy, fruit when soft and light yellow-green and store in refrigerator for up to a week.

I vaguely remember we used to get Passionflower-Guava juice as a canned drink... but that was a long time ago. Was pretty good though.

Ps... it looks like the "vine" on the gaia site is something with alcohol already in it, and the Passionflower looks like it might be herbal pills?
But I can't really tell.
Last edited by Indemnity on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Star-Souls serene, that gleam on life’s calm lake
Behold within, and not above, one Star in sight.
Indemnity

Postby Jan » 30 Nov 2011, 20:03

I think Indemnity has it - vine probably includes leaves and soft stems whereas the flower with be flower parts only (hence the price hike).

Interestingly though, none of my herbal books make a specific diferentiation between the effects of blossom vs leaves.

Loadsa love
Last edited by Jan on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
Arise anew as a child of the dawn
Remember whence you came
Walk lightly, leaving whispers for footprints
And shine, refreshed in your rebirth
Jan

Postby wishinglove » 01 Dec 2011, 16:27

Thank you so much, both of you, for taking the time to check up on this! I appreciate your findings. All my herbal books are packed away and sealed up in boxes!

From my own experimentation this week, I think the straight passionflower (versus the vine) is more effective for me. Or perhaps my nerves are just presenting more of a challenge at this time!

Much love,
wish xo
Last edited by wishinglove on 01 Jan 1970, 00:00, edited 0 times in total.
May all beings, without exception, be happy and free from suffering.
wishinglove

Return to Marlita's Gardening Forum