Heat treated agates?

Come and talk about the magical world of crystals, Kelle has a vast wealth of knowledge about working with crystals, as well as a remarkable gift for working out which stones will enjoy you most.

Moderators: Jan, kelle

Heat treated agates?

Postby twinkletoes » 10 Sep 2010, 08:45

Hello all,
I've recently bought some pieces of a dark almost fuschia pink and royal blue agate to use in jewellery, but I can't really seem to find much information about where they originate from or whether its worthwhile using them to heal. I've heard they can be heat treated to make different colours, but how do I know if its natural or not? Does this effect the healing properties of the stone?
I also bought a purple stone that I'm not really sure what it is! Its an amethyst colour, but down one side it has an opaque/white section with purple veins through, then little patches of yellowy, mossy looking bits. Any ideas what this is?
Many thanks! :grin:
twinkletoes :wave:
twinkletoes

Re: Heat treated agates?

Postby rainbowspirit » 10 Sep 2010, 08:59

Hi Twinkletoes :wave:

The pink and blue stones do sound like coloured agate. So they are a natural stone, but more useful from a Colour Therapy point of view than crystal healing perspective.

If it came from the same place, then the purple one may also be dyed agate, but it would be easier to tell if you were able to get a small photo on here via something like Photobucket?

:)
Beth

crystals are coping stones along life's path
rainbowspirit

Return to Kelle's Crystals Forum